Originally uploaded by tfangel
1 16 ounce walnuts (4 cups) finely chopped
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 16 ounce package of fresh or frozen phyllo dough
1 cup margarine or butter (2 sticks) melted
1 12 ounce jar honey
1. In large bowl, with fork, mix finely chopped walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. Set aside.
2. Cut phyllo into 13" by 9" rectangles. in greased 13" by 9" baking dish, place 1 phyllo sheet; brush with some melted margarine or butter. Repeat with phyllo and margarine or butter to make 5 more layers, overlapping any small strips of phyllo to make rectangles, if necessary.
3. Over phyllo in baking dish, sprinkle 1 cup walnut mixture.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 3 more layers (4 layers total). Place remaining phyllo on top of last walnut layer; brush with margarine or butter.
5. With sharp knife, cut just halfway through layers in triangle pattern to make 24 servings (cut lengthwise into 3 strips; cut each strip crosswise into 4 rectangles; then cut each rectangle diagonally into 2 rectangles).
6. Bake in 300F oven 1 hour and 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
7. In small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat honey until hot but not boiling. Evenly spoon hot honey over hot baklava.
8. Cool baklava in dish on wire rack at least 1 hour; cover with foil and let stand at room temperature until serving.
9. To serve, with sharp knife, finish cutting through layers to make 24 baklava triangles.
Features cooking, party recipes, dining, restaurant, chinese dishes, cuisines, gastronomy