Vegetable Beef Soup
1) Put several pounds of meaty soup bones (beef shanks) in a large stockpot with 6 cups of water and 2 cups of tomato juice. Add a large diced onion, several bay leaves and worcestershire sauce to the pot. Bring to a boil for about 10 minutes then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 90 minutes.
2) Strain the broth into another large pot. Set the soup bones aside to cool. In a large skillet, brown about a pound of stew meat. Once the outside of the meat is caramelized, add it to the stock.
3) Dice a pound or two of peeled potatoes into one inch cubes. Add them to the stock.
4) Bring the stock, potatoes and meat back to a boil. Reduce heat and continue to simmer for about 25-30 minutes.
5) Add whatever vegetables you like. I usually use a couple 1 pound bags of frozen mixed vegetables. (corn, carrots, peas and green beans - anything but gross, pasty lima beans). I also usually toss in some petite diced tomatoes. Bring it back to a boil for about 10 more minutes.
6) Meanwhile, chop the meat off the soup bones (they should be cool by now) and add it to the pot.
7) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Here is another video recipe of the easy homemade Vegetable Beef Soup