This is the Layered Potato Casserole (Hungarian Rakott Krumpli) recipe which I've learn to make it from my Hungarian mother-in-law. Some families have a different version, but after you've made it the first time, you will know how you want to modify it to make it your own personal taste. It is a very delicious and hearty comfort food, a little heavy but it can last you for the entire day. This dish is essentially requiring the sour cream. In Hungary, it is called tejföl in English Smetana. As it is a dairy product that is produced by souring heavy cream, Smetana is easily found in Central and Eastern Europe. (It is not the same type of sour cream in Singapore)
Ingredient estimated for 4 servings:
1 kg medium sized Potatoes
4 medium sized Onions
300 grams Smoked Sausage with Paprika
500 ml Sour Cream
100 ml Yoghurt (Natural or Original)
3 tablespoonfuls of breadcrumbs
300 grams Smoked bacon strips
1. Wash the potatoes and boil them in a pot of water until soft.
2. Rinse the water away and peel off the potatoes skins.
3. Slice it and set it aside for layering when all the ingredients are ready. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC.
4. Add salt to another pot of water and boil the eggs. Salt is to allow it to be easier to peel off the shells. Hardboiled eggs takes about 11 minutes.
5. Remove the shells of the eggs and put them into the egg slicer.
6. Slice the smoked sausages, onions.
7. Mix the sour cream and yoghurt.
8. Greased the baking dish or casserole including the sides.
9. Spread breadcrumbs all around the inside of the dish.
10. Lay the bacon strips.
11. Second layer the smoked sausages.
12. Third layer the onions.
13. Fourth layer the potato slices.
14. Lightly salt it and pour half the sour cream mixture.
15. Fifth layer the sliced hard boiled eggs.
16. Repeat these steps until all the ingredients are finished. The top most layer will be the potatoes and then finish it off with the other half of the sour cream mixture.
17. Place the entire casserole into the preheated oven.
18. Let it bake for 40 minutes.
19. When it is ready, served it and make sure you top it again with a dollop of sour cream... enjoy!