In Istanbul, we entered into a restaurant which serves a very delicious Chicken Fajita dish. It was brought to our table with this black metal skillet and from a distance you can hear the loud sizzling. Beside were the warm tortillas and condiments such as sour cream, salsa, pico de gallo and jalapeño.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 12 oz (375 g) boneless skinless chicken, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 small (7-in/18 cm) whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup (250 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 180 °C.
Melt 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter in the microwave. Add chicken, chili powder, lime juice, cumin, salt, pepper and garlic; mix well.
Wrap tortillas in foil and warm in oven for about 10 minutes.
With remaining butter, add mushrooms, onion and peppers; stir fry.
Add chicken strips to skillet and cook, until chicken turns slightly brown.
Spoon chicken and vegetable mixture over centre of each tortilla and sprinkle with Cheddar cheese. Serve with toppings desired.