Carrot Cake by Jodee
INGREDIENTS1 Cup (200g/7oz) brown sugar
1 Cup (200g/7oz) butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/2 Cups (200g/7oz) flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon powder
(200g/7oz) carrots (finely grated)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 cup (200g) powdered sugar, sifted lightly to remove any lumps
1/2 lb (8oz/220g) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (2oz/60g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. Whisk together sugar, eggs and butter until thick.
2. Then add in flour and cinnamon and mix gently
3. Lastly, add in the grated carrots and mix in until well combined.
4. Grease and line a baking pan.
5. Pour mixture into pan and place in the oven at 340°F (170°C) for 35-40 minutes (or until a skewer comes out clean).
6. Leave to cool in pan for 10mins then turn onto a cooling rack.
7. To prepare the frosting: In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high speed cream cheese and butter until smooth. Then slowly add in the powdered sugar and vanilla until it is smooth and creamy (do not over beat). Chill until needed.
8. Decorate as desire.
My husband likes carrot cake very much. So whenever we have an opportunity to visit some of the cafes in Tallinn, he would order a slice of the carrot cake. This is my first attempt at making this carrot cake. I remember when I was pregnant with Hedi, I was always craving for carrot cake. Today, Hedi gets to taste this carrot cake I've made. She could recognise it and said '胡萝卜' (Hú luó bo) which means 'carrot' in Mandarin Chinese while I was grating the carrots before making the cake. Hedi is now 3 years and 9 months.